Best Laptops for Writers 2020: might not be something that everyone would end up doing every single day, but it is a fact that people who buy laptops do end up using them for writing at some point or the other. This goes out especially to those laptop buyers who are students, because one way or the other, they will end up doing their homework or projects on the laptop. Even business people need to write on their laptops, whether it is to create a stunning business report or a PowerPoint presentation to address their team.
Choosing the Best Laptop for Writers
Table of Contents
- Choosing the Best Laptop for Writers
- Best Laptops for Writers 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions on Laptops for Writers
One does not need to be a writer in order to buy good laptops suitable for writing. But however, if you do end up using the laptop for writing, it is better you buy one that is suitable for the same. Here is how to choose the best laptop for your price.
1. Platform to choose
It is important to know which platform is the best for you. Right now, the best ones out there are Chrome OS from Google, macOS from Apple and Windows from Microsoft. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, which means it eventually boils down to what your preference is.
Windows is the most flexible out of the lot, and it is also the most ubiquitous one. It has the ability to switch between tablet mode and desktop mode, which is great for two in ones and has features like the powerful Cortana digital assistant and the suite of MS Office which is a godsend for any writer.
macOS is only limited to MacBook, and they are by no means cheap. But they do deliver a very performance-oriented experience and the user interface is blazing smooth. The ecosystem is quite closed, which means if you use other Apple products, you will love macOS, otherwise, maybe not. The slew of services that can be used along with macOS, including Siri, Apple Pay, Apple Watch and iTunes make this one worth for Apple fanboys out there.
Chrome OS is a relatively new operating system and is mainly targeted at cost-effective laptops. The user interface is easy to get used to, and they offer a great slew of apps through the Play store. However, this comes with a downside of the fact that constant internet connection is required to run chrome apps.
2. The Right Size
With the number of screen sizes available out there, it is easy to get confused and even lose interest. However, screen sizes are not as difficult to choose from as they seem to be.
11 to 12-inch screen size should be preferred if you like to roam around with your laptop, but keep in mind that this size can be a bit too small for some. Also, there tends to be a sacrifice on performance at this screen size due to the small size of the body.
13 to 14-inch screen provides the right balance between the size and the performance. These are great to roam around with and they also pack a decent amount of hardware in them.
15 inch and above screens are for mainly multimedia consumption and these laptops tend to be very bulky and are not great for carrying around. They have great performance tho, however, that is quite unnecessary for writers.
3. The Keyboard
The specs of the computer do matter, but however, a writer, the first and foremost importance is to see how the keyboard is, and the trackpad as well. It is important to have a laptop that is ergonomic in nature, and that the keyboard is good to type in and give solid tactile feedback. The spacious trackpad will also help in getting things done fast, and in the keyboard department especially, Lenovo’s ThinkPad Series has been the indisputable king.
As a writer, high-end specs are not required unless you want to spend the extra time playing high-end games. Any mid-tier specs can get the work done. The recommended specs would be the latest generation i5 processor coupled with 8 GB of ram and at least 256 Gb of storage SSD. This should be fine enough for everyday work as well as light gaming occasionally.
5. Battery Life
This is a no brainer. Battery life is very important especially if you travel a lot. There is no use of the laptop if it dies with only 3 hours of usage. Therefore, it is to be kept in mind that at least 12 hours of battery life should be aimed for, so that the output is at least 8 hours and not less than that.
Finally, the main attraction of the show. The price is the main important factor that might influence everything about the purchase of the laptop you will make. If your budget is low, it is advisable to go for Chromebook, as they perform exceptionally well on low-end specs. If the budget is moderate, the i5 powered Windows laptops are a way to go, and if the budget is high, definitely go for the MacBook Pro to get the best out of your money.
* Also Read About : Best Laptops for Teachers
Best Laptops for Writers 2020
Writers, whether a content writer or a copywriter, whether a poet or a storyteller need a good a comfortable laptop that suits their needs and preferences while also coming at an affordable price so as to not dent the wallets of said writers.
The new ZenBook model launched by ASUS is a great value for its price. With a fast i5, 8th generation processor is a fast processing laptop with smooth performance. The 13.3-inch display screen and lightweight, making it easy to carry around and a great choice for many writers.
Why We Liked it
- This particular model like most of the other previously launched models has a bright and vibrant display screen. But unlike other models, the Asus ZenBook UX330UA model comes with an anti-glare display feature which will be extremely beneficial for the writers who tend to sit for long durations of time in front of their laptops continuously writing their content. The anti-glare screen will protect the eyes of the writers from the glares caused by the laptop.
- The Asus ZenBook laptop has a sleek and modern aesthetic to it with its all-metal composition and thin and lightweight design. The model looks aesthetically pleasing and something you’d like to carry around. The all-metal body makes the laptop durable and usable for a long period of time.
- This particular model weighs approximately only 1.18 kg making it extremely lightweight and easy to carry around comfortably without any major issues. The writers can write down or note down their ideas, thoughts and concepts almost anywhere as it’s lightweight and small structure makes it very convenient to walk around with.
- This model of Asus ZenBook also has an extremely comfortable keyboard. This makes it even a better purchase option for many writers, as a good and comfortable keyboard is an extreme necessity for most if not all writers considering that is what they will be using most of the time on the laptop.
- With a great Intel Core i5 8th gen processor, the Asus ZenBook UX330UA – AH55 has a fast and powerful processing power making the performance of the laptop very smooth and fast. All this makes this model launched by ASUS a great option for writers around the world.
- The battery life which can go up to 12 hours is above average but has degraded compared to the previous model.
This model is great to purchase for writers looking for an affordable laptop with great features that are a necessity to them.
This new model of HP Envy is a great option of purchase for prominent writers and also proves to be very efficient for them. It is used by many writers as well as students who regularly have papers to write. Its great features include being thin and sleek in design, very light to carry around for the writers and this makes it a great option for writers who love to carry around their pieces to write.
Why We Liked it
- Regardless of the kind of writer one is, they all need to have the best, efficient and ergonomic keyboards. This model of HP proves to be a good option by fulfilling this need by providing a very comfortable keyboard. Many writers tend to work at night as that time provides them with great ideas and some writers are just generally very active and when it comes to the topic of their creativity. For this reason, this HP model provides its users with a backlit keyboard.
- This also provides the customers with superior battery life, when compared with its competitors. With a battery life that goes up to an average of 14 hours, makes this model a good laptop for all the writers.
- It has an Intel Core i5 7th generation processor, which makes this particular model launched by HP a very fast and efficient option for most, if not all writers.
- This model of HP has an all-metal body which makes it both durable, and strong. It has a slim and sleek design which makes it aesthetically pleasing for writers of all ages.
- The laptop screen spans around 13inch and weighs about 1.5 kg which makes it very light and easy to carry around for the writers.
- This model has limited storage and that gives some of its competitors an advantage.
In a nutshell, this laptop proves out to be a good investment, rather than a purchase. This model provides a large variety of features and all of that at a very affordable rate.
HP Spectre x360 13 – Cheap Laptop for Writers
Performance beyond expectations: The Spectre x360 leaves everyone behind when it comes to performance, bringing the best of everything in your hands. Power-packed with great battery life and seamless performance it will last as long as you.
Why We Liked it
- If you are someone who loves to write the traditional style with a pen but still wants to avail the benefits of technological advances this laptop is for you. It comes with a digital pen for natural notetaking.
- With a whopping 16 hours and 45 minutes of battery life, this laptop is surely going to stay with you all day long.
- HP Spectre x360 comes with 8th Gen Intel Core I Quad Core processors for cutting-edge performance
- Multitasking became even smoother with 16GB DDR4 memory capacity.
- You get more creative in dark? Keep writing even in dimly lit rooms with a large illuminated keyboard.
- The fan provided for the cooling purpose creates noise which can become irritating after some time.
With unbelievable speed, awesome sound quality and a classy look HP Spectre x360 has all that you need.
MacBook Air is a lightweight laptop built by Apple. It is a thin and ultraportable device which weighs three pounds and is like a full-sized notebook. This is durable to take everywhere you go. It has a 13-inch LED backlit display. It has a 1.6 GHz dual core Intel Core i5 processor. This device has 128 GB storage and 8GB RAM. The operating system is Mac OS. It has a 720 p FaceTime HD camera. It has Intel HD Graphics 6000. This device has built-in 49.9 watt-hour Lithium-polymer battery. It has two USB 3 ports, Thunderbolt 2 port, MagSafe 2 power port and SDXC card slot. Apple Macbook has an integrated Touch ID sensor. It has built-in wireless Bluetooth technology. This technology is used to connect and sync the laptop to a personal digital assistant.
Why We Liked it
- It has longer battery life. In the Laptop Mag battery test, the Apple MacBook Air sustained for full 10 hours which involved surfing continuously over Wi-Fi.
- It has dual USB 3.0 ports which let you connect easily. There is no need of buying dongles, adaptors or other peripherals for the purpose of connection.
- This has a good old slot for SD card. It simplifies the process of establishing the connection all you have to do is just plug and play.
- It has a MagSafe connector. In MagSafe connector, it is magnetically held in place. When excess pressure is applied on the wire or the wire is tugged then the Magsafe connector detaches from the connector without damaging it. It prevents the fall of the device and keeps it safe.
- Macbook Air has a keyboard which is deeper and more responsive. It provides comfort and facilities for better typing. If your priority when buying a laptop is comfort, then MacBook Air is the best choice.
- It has limited upgradability of hardware. The components of the processor and the memory are embedded within a single circuit.
The specialty of Apple MacBook Air is that it has a great shelf life and better visibility with a sleek model.
Acer Aspire 5 – Best Laptop for Writers on a Budget
This is a laptop which is budget friendly. It has a 15.6 full HD widescreen LED backlit display. It has the 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8265U processor 1.6 GHz with turbo boost technology. The speed of the processor is 3.9 GHz. It has 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM. It has the hard disk size of 512 GB. The size of the graphic card ram is 2 GB. It weighs 5.9 pounds. It has Windows 10 operating system. The ports are USB 3.1 Type C Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, USB 2.0 port and HDMI port with HDCP support. It has a Lithium-ion battery and has a battery life of up to 9.5 hours.
Why We Liked it
- It has an attractive premium aesthetic design. It is slimmer and more lightweight, and it looks stylish from every angle.
- This has a good performance and an amazing processing power that supports hefty activities related to multimedia. In the performance test, it scored high in the budget laptop average.
- It has a wide selection of ports. It lets you connect to a variety of devices.
- This has great audio. It has the best speaker which is loud, and it can cover an entire room.
- It has a backlit keyboard which has smooth and flat keys and it boosts the typing performance.
- Acer Aspire has a 0.9 MP webcam that has 1280×720 pixels resolution. It often produces decent pictures and pictures with details which are blurry.
The specialty of Acer Aspire 5 is that it gives many features in the affordable price range.
ASUS Chromebook Flip – Good Laptop for Writers
The all-new flagship Asus Chromebook Flip C434 is a perfect blend of power and looks. It is one of the best Chromebook we have ever had.
Why We Liked it
- It comes with a backlit keyboard with 1.4mm key travel accompanied with a large keypad with palm-rejection and multi-touch gesture support.
- With powerful Intel processors, it delivers great performance with up to 10 hours of battery life.
- ASUS Chromebook Flip C434 comes with dual speakers and huge chambers which produces high-quality sound giving you a better hearing experience.
- An operating system by Google that comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time
- It comes with two reversible USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C ports and a standard USB 3.1 Gen Type-A port Making it easy to charge and connect your device.
- Some say that the trackpad is not set evenly, the top right corner is stuck up slightly higher than the surrounding border.
ASUS Chromebook Flip is the best Chromebook you can get at such an affordable price with all your requirements getting fulfilled.
Also Read More : Best Laptops for Engineering Students
Frequently Asked Questions on Laptops for Writers
Is Chromebook good Laptop for writers?
Chromebooks are the perfect fit if you utilize it for writing purposes. They come in a range of screen displays and you can choose the perfect size for yourself. The best part about Chromebooks is that they come in really affordable prices and are hence, used extensively by the students. What’s more, is that they are very secure, and you don’t have to worry about your files. If you are involved in a writing or typing job, Chromebook is sure to benefit you. But they are not sophisticated, and you cannot play games or perform tasks which require a lot of complex requirements and they are fit for simple purposes like typing and e-mailing. So, figure out your purpose and then go for it.
What is the best Mac for writers?
The best Mac for writers is definitely the MacBook Air. Macbook Air has a great display and a heavenly keypad. Moreover, it’s sleek and light, which makes it a lot more portable. Also, it comes at a very affordable price and has an amazing 12-hour long battery life. If you are not going to use it for gaming or other such heavy duties, you can utilize the MacBook Air for your writing.
Which laptop is best for freelancing?
The Huawei Matebook X Pro is the best laptop for freelancers. It has a 14-inch screen display which comes with a sophisticated keyboard and battery life of 12 hours. Huawei Matebook X Pro has a sleek design and is very portable. The greatest thing about this is that, it provides a wide range of functions with intel core i5, 8GB RAM at a very affordable price. But it does have an oddly placed webcam, which somewhat distorted its look. But you don’t need that much if you are freelancing, right?
Which is the best laptop for working from home?
The LG Gram Laptop is a great laptop for working from home. You can get this laptop under $1000 and it comes with a macho design and backlit keyboard. It has a 1920 x 1080 display along with a 14 inch Full HD IPS Display, Intel 8th Gen Core i5 Processor and 8 GB RAM. What’s more, it comes with multiple USB ports so that there is no convenience at your work. However, it does have a satisfactory battery life of 18+ hours though the speakers aren’t that great. Overall, if you are planning to do a remote job, this laptop can be your friend as a Writer.
In the end, it boils down to the preference of the freelancers and Writers. These are some of the criteria to look into while buying the best laptops for Writers on a budget as it can help you to make a better decision according to your needs and wants.