Best Laptops for Computer Science Students: Science is a branch that focuses on the study of computer technology, programming, information technology, and their applications in day-to-day life. If you are just looking for a laptop while you graduate in computer science, you do not actually need a very high tier and very expensive laptop with all the best features in the world. So if you are looking for a laptop during graduation, you can settle for any normal Chromebooks or other cheaper options.
MacBook Air is a slim, lightweight laptop with a 13.3-inch screen. Even though Air is not easily upgraded and isn’t that good at gaming or audio-video qualities, it is the best option for students, teachers, commuters, and anyone involved in computer science. It is also relatively cheaper. Earlier, there was also an 11 model of the MacBook Air which was discontinued later. It also has the latest SSD Technology which helps the user in booting the device faster, loading simulations and emulations faster, creating software, and encountering just any task that comes at you as a computer science major.
The best laptop however for anyone indulged in advanced computer science is MacBook Air. This device would allow you to have access to all the three operating systems, that is, Windows, OSX, and Linux. As in addition to this, MacBook Air has all the programming languages like C++, C, Python, and Java which are already installed in it. This saves you the effort of installing new IDE separately and you can get directly to work!
Also Read: Best Laptops for Engineering Students
Also Read: Best Laptop for Law School
Also Read: Best Laptops for Kali Linux
Choosing the Best Laptop for Computer Science Students
Table of Contents
MacBook Air is a great option for people in search of budget-friendly laptops. It is suitable for anyone who wants something more than just a regular laptop. The two models of MacBook Air differ mostly in the storage aspect. The first one consists of 128 GB flash storage while the other one has 256 GB of the same.
Apple Macbook Air – Best Laptop for Computer Science Majors
It can be bought online or from any other authorized dealer shop. You can also get a refurbished version if your budget is lower than the actual cost. Refurbished is basically just meaning new and cheaper. Refurbished products are those which are returned by the customers due to some of the other complaints or malfunctions. While refurbishing the manufacturers and the programmers take proper care to improve the laptop and make it seem like a polished new version. And so refurbished products are relatively cheaper than the actual prices and also work really great so it becomes worth it. It comes with an ace up its sleeve with the Apple T2 security chip which works alongside the main processor to offload certain tasks. As the name suggests, it regulates the security functions of the laptop.
It is the best option for anyone who does not have a stationary workplace but needs to work while moving a lot. One should note that once you have bought a laptop it’s very difficult to get its storage upgraded. So make sure you get the most storage available within your budget.
Best Laptops for Computer Science Majors
Microsoft Surface Pro – Windows Laptop for Computer science Student
Microsoft Surface Pro is a 5th Generation laptop with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage. It has been claimed to be the most versatile laptop. You can turn it from laptop mode to studio mode to tablet mode too. The battery life on average is 8 hours which is a pretty long time for a laptop to study or work. Its operating system is Windows 10. It provides you with a pen, mouse, keyboard cover, and the surface dial too. The vent slots around the top edge are even less visible than on the previous model (Surface Pro 4). Even though the edges are slightly rounded on the new version. An excellent computer for general purpose work. Surface Dock – Truly outstanding accessory. Just hook up the magnetic connector and add monitor, ethernet, sound, and more USB-3to the job.
Why We Liked it
- It is very thin and light-weighted.
- It looks and feels like a premium item.
- This model does not let you hear the voice of the fan which makes it very less irritating.
- You can work for hours on this laptop as the battery life is long and one charge can let you work for almost 8 hours.
- The fingerprint is faster and accurate which makes people get attracted to it even more.
- The screen flickers a lot in many cases and the laptop shuts down randomly while using it.
As this laptop is very thin and light-weighted it is very easy to carry it around and work whenever you want with a keyboard, pen, or touchscreen.
Asus VivoBook – Best Budget Laptop for computer science
Asus VivoBook is an 8th Generation laptop with 8GB and 128GB storage. It is very thin and light. It has crisp and stunning visuals. It has a fingerprint reader. The operating system is Windows 10. It is very fast and has a very wide view. Boot-up is very easy to do. It’s completely silent. No fan noise no HDD boot-up noise. The keyboard is a bit plain and the build is plastic. The solid-state hard drive boots up windows and the startup programs in about 20 seconds. Browsing and navigating are lightning-fast. The screen/ display is amazing. Full HD and very bright. The battery life is awesome. This laptop is very lightweight and portable. Applications load very quickly, even the more hardware-intensive programs. The already fast boot-up time is even faster with the fingerprint sensor. Windows 10 is pre-installed on the SSD.
This is a powerful laptop at an affordable price. Because of that, there will be some drawbacks. Battery life is fine, but not exceptional. You’ll want to carry the charger around with you. The large screen and keyboard are decent, but nothing special. It’s not heavy but not small either. Backlit keyboard – great for low-light conditions. 16″ screen – bright and clear without pushing the specs. Wide field of view as well. Ryzen 5 processor – overkill for anything other than games, and better performance than equivalent Intel
Why We Liked it
- The machine boots up windows 10 very quickly which makes it easy and portable to work with,
- There is no fan noise as if there isn’t any fan on the laptop which causes less amount of irritation in the people.
- It is not that expensive but rather pocket-friendly which enables a lot of people to buy it comfortably.
- The screen and display are amazing which gives you a wider view of everything.
- This laptop is lightweight and portable and you can carry it around with you.
- The sound drivers are not effective and it often shows a message called plugged in but not charging for that you need to format your computer again and again.
This laptop is very fast and very effective.
Acer Aspire E5-573G
Acer Aspire E5-573G is a product with 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive. The operating system is windows 10. The screen is full HD and 16 inches. It is affordable and very easy to buy. It is a 5th generation laptop which is quite popular among people. It’s relatively thin and light and plays Skyrim on high settings. The great thing about the chipset here is that it’s low power, so the power brick is very small.it occasionally overheats. Take good care of the battery and the fans. Pay attention to what makes it overheat and avoid that. Keep it clean. this is a great computer for slightly more-than-casual gamers, artists, and Netflix binges. It’s hard to find a new laptop packing the features for this price range (Below $800 at the time of purchase) that has a dedicated 940m 2Gb Nvidia chip, i5 5200u, and 1080p screen. All of these are nice to have for mid-range performance. The battery life has also been decent ranging between 4-6 hours of continuous browsing, drawing, and movies.
Why We Liked it
- Full HD screen which makes your time worth a while.
- Very affordable and pocket-friendly.
- It has an HD webcam which makes talking to people interesting.
- It has a precision touchpad.
- The essential ports are accessible.
- It is made up of cheap plastics and it is a temporary laptop as the motherboard dies in like a year.
Asus Zen Book 13
Speak of life a loyal friend and the Asus Zen Book 13 comes into mind.If you are a student of computer science, this is your type. This model is sleek and everything you want it to be. There’s no reason to worry about your work. This is the laptop you need.
Why We Liked it
- The Asus Zen Book 13 is light and slim. This makes it portable and easy to carry to your workplace. This laptop is lighter than a feather! Weighing just 2.5 pounds, it is absolutely portable. You can carry it to your work or on a vacation. Its professional look gives it an air of grandeur. Computer science students are going to love this.
- Besides, it has a 13.3-inch screen with a bright and sharp display. The display is as perfect as other models in the Asus series. The laptop comes with the latest Windows 10 pre-installed. Isn’t that amazing? You don’t have to bother about installing another operating system. Just buy the laptop and dive right into work. Asus just makes lives easier. Your eyes are going to love it!
- The laptop has a perfect keyboard with widely spaced buttons. Your fingers will love the smooth and concave texture of the keys. Moreover, it comes with several hotkeys. Hence, you can actually have your laptop at your fingertips.
- It has an adequate number of ports, including a USB 3 Type-C Gen-1 port. This is mostly what customers look for. The Asus Zen Book 13 heard you. The ports surely make this laptop convenient.
- This model is provided with an 8th generation Intel Core i5 CPU and 256 GB storage. This makes it a winner in the benchmark tests. Nothing could be more awesome than this.
- Yes, the Asus Zen Book 13 has its cons too. The keyboard is too small for some. Despite the backlighting, it does not improve its shortcomings.
Asus Zen Book 13 boasts of all-day-long battery life, making it even more tempting.
HP ENVY 13 AB016NR
Were you looking for a stylishly thin and light, all-metal laptop? Here, you go. We have HP Envy 13-ab016nr that looks stylish enough for a computer science student to carry and gives the kind of performance he would expect. Getting into the specifics, we have 7th Gen Intel with a Dual-core processor. The performance is responsive just like you want it and what is more, is that it gets the job quickly done and has the ability to work on intuitive interactions with your computer.
Why We Liked it
- The performance and processing power, and of course the booming audio would be the first advantage we could show off.
- If you are okay with a 13.3 inch full hd display with responsive performance ability with a memory of 8GB LPDDR3 SDRAM that you could use for several applications at the same time without waiting for the loading period, yay, you are right in place.
- Productivity, did we miss it? Windows 10, you might know, could be the best if you are planning to bring ideas forward and get things done ASAP.
- Let’s brag about the battery life. It is a 14-hour stay that promises a take on the day without you having to constantly look for a safe charging place.
- If this is your choice, remember it is a solid-state drive that is 17x faster in performing when you compare it with your previous traditional notebook.
- You might not find a SD card port, but see to the other features, though.
The performance and the looks, of course, are what make the product worth the buy.
Also Read: Best Laptops for Writers
Also Read: Best Laptop for Architecture Students
Also Read: Best Laptops for Teachers
You just can’t look further than MacBook Air if you are looking for something specialized in computer science majors. MacBook comes with what Apple calls an ‘all-day battery life. It has approximately about 13 plus hours of video playback battery life. No other Apple Macs can provide you with such a rich battery life and its great portability. Air gives you the freedom to carry it out and set it up wherever required. In terms of battery also, no other MacBook can beat MacBook Air. MacBook air is not only just, a developed version of Apple’s Macs but it also has its own specifications that make it unique and the best option to buy. MacBook Air is the best option for students indulged in computer programming and computer science activities in general.
So all in all MacBook Air would be the best choice for anyone who wants to work hard and fast on a daily basis. It is known to lag a little bit when multiple tabs are opened and more and more tasks were asked of it. So, for computer science majors it would be the best laptop for them.