Best Laptops for Engineering Students: You do engineering, you know you have a lot of options. You can go into coding and security means computer engineering. Then is Architecture means civil engineering. Then is Mechanical. And for every course, there is a specific requirement towards the kind of laptops or software on your laptops that you need to use. Laptops do vary in size, shape, thickness, software, speed, programming, etc.
Buying the right kind of laptop, according to me is very important. As laptops are huge investments and quite a lot of money goes into it you need to think and search for information on particular laptops before buying one.
Choosing the Best Laptop for Engineering Students
Table of Contents
- Choosing the Best Laptop for Engineering Students
- Laptops for Engineering Students 2021
- Dell 15.6-Inch – Best Laptop for AutoCAD
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 – Best Laptop For CAD Engineers
- Acer Aspire 7 – Best Acer Laptop For Engineers
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 – Best Laptop for Mechanical Engineering Students
- ASUS Zen Book 13 – Best Portable Laptop for Engineering
- MSI GL62M – Best laptop for Computer Engineering Students
- Frequently Asked Questions on Laptops for Engineering Students
While buying anything first you need to analyze your needs and requirements. Same you have to do with the laptops. You have to analyze your requirements according to your field too. There are many laptops out there, but it is not at all necessary that all will meet your needs. Always consider taking help from your teachers so that you get an idea about what kind of gadgets you want. Or if the teacher does not have a clear picture search it over the internet. Ask your friends.
Before we go any further, you need to understand what other things you want in your laptop as it is quite expensive. You need to make a buying budget for it. And then you need to analyze what else is necessary like the CPU recommended for C++ engineers is i5 and others can use i3 or so. The RAM aim should be 8 GB or more. So that if you work more it does not start lagging or anything like that. Next is Graphics card for about 2 GB, it is required when you are professionally involved in a particular engineering field.
Another than that there are many laptops and with different software so choose the correct one with all the distinctions. According to me, some of the best laptops for engineers with varying and distinctive features are launched by DELL, APPLE, and HP. They have strong build-up laptops that are in the market from $600 and above. You can take convertibles or even with a screen touch. Your laptop should have distinctive qualities where you can do all- draw, write and work as well.
Also Read: Best Laptop for Architects 2021
Also Read : Best Laptops for Kali Linux
Also Read : Best Laptops for Teachers
Laptops for Engineering Students 2021
For any student buying an easy to carry laptop is necessary as it makes it very easy for them to work anywhere anytime. Along with this performance also creates a big impact. When you are buying you should consider asking for consideration from people. Then it comes to the display. You need to decide whether to buy a light notebook kind of laptop or a light easily convertible laptop. Then we have to think about the connectivity of the object as in the CD/DVD reader, though it is not very common you can require it any time. Then, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is a major factor. Also, if you have to present something in class you need a projector port so that you can easily connect it to the projector.
It is always good to know some Laptops for Engineering Students before buying it. Here are some best laptops you would like to know:
Dell 15.6-Inch – Best Laptop for AutoCAD
Gaming laptops are becoming the rage of the era and Dell took its leap to create the perfect 15.6-inch gaming laptop. This model has a sleek design with a colorful screen, making it desirable to its users. To add to its perks, it has numerous ports, a lock plot and widely spaced keys for easy typing. This laptop is nothing but a hit in the market. Comes with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5.
Why We Like It
- As tempting as the model looks, this laptop has several pros. To start with, it has a low starting price, which makes it suitable for low budget purchases. The price is definitely worth this model and provides more for less.
- Another perk is its long battery life about 4.5 Hours. If you are up for working hours, this laptop is just perfect. There is no need to worry about the laptop shutting down halfway, owing to its amazing battery life.
- The next most important advantage is the durability Dell ensures that the money spent on this purchase is a long-term investment. It has excellent durability and will last for years to come.
- Moreover, this model does not have any weight issues as it is super light. Owing to its sleek design, it is feathery light and easy to carry.
- Last but not least, it provides a mind-blowing coding experience. That’s where it gets its name from, isn’t it?
- With a multitude of benefits, this laptop has a few cons as well. Though the backlit keyboard is really useful, it’s light gets reflected on the display. This might be a bit annoying for the users.
- Also, the mouse that comes with the model is not that great and users have complained of it making weird sounds.
The specialty of this model has to be it’s amazing speed, providing faster coding experience and lower boot time period.
Microsoft Surface Pro 6 – Best Laptop For CAD Engineers
If you desire a sense of completeness, go for the Microsoft Surface Pro 6. With its rounded edges and sensitive touchpad, it is one of the best designs in the market. This model has not been modified too much and that is an advantage. Having fixed a few problems here and there, it is the same laptop with just a better experience.
Why We Like It
- This laptop has it all. The list of pros can go on and on, but here are the most significant ones.
- This model works perfectly with Surface Pen, Surface Dial, and Office. It also runs the entire Windows with perfection.
- Besides, it has an excellent 14 hours battery life, ridding its users of the task of charging it after every few hours. Moreover, it has a lightning speed of operation.
- Be it the working apps or entertainment, the laptop provides proficient handling with unprecedented speed. The model also comes with an excellent type cover keyboard.
- This lets you connect Surface devices with magnets and also type in the keyboard. It has a supreme display with a 2736×1824 pixels screen, providing a unique viewing experience.
- The first con of this model is its high price. Though the features somewhat justify it, there are other good models in the market available at a lower price.
- Besides, this Microsoft model has its limited ports without any USB Type-C. This may be a problem for users when they require multiple ports for work. But these drawbacks do not compromise the overall performance of this wonderful laptop.
Microsoft Surface Pro is unique as it can be used both in studio mode and tablet more just by closing or opening the kickstand and removing or adding the type cover.
Acer Aspire 7 – Best Acer Laptop For Engineers
The Acer Aspire 7 is a casual gaming laptop with 8 GB DDR4 RAM (2400MHz Memory), 128GB SSD, 1TB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 15.6’’ Full HD (1920×1080) widescreen and LED-backlit IPS Display. The processor is Intel 6-Core i7-8750H up to 4.1 GHz, which means the 8th generation loaded with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti with dedicated 4GB GDDR5 VRAM along with a fingerprint reader, 802.11ac WiFi, backlit keyboard, USB 3.1 Type C gen 1 support and the preloaded software includes an original copy of Windows 10 (64-bit) and Microsoft Office 365 home.
Why We Like It
- The backlit keyboard is a big plus for this laptop as this enables you to work in dark, when your family is asleep and you wish to use it but does not want to disturb them, it’s a great tool for that.
- The installation of Solid-state-drive is also highly beneficial for engineering students as it makes the computer much faster, which makes working on big data sets or running a big application like Android-Studio very comfortable and smooth.
- Being an engineering student, we have a lot of reports to take and Microsoft Office makes it super easy to do so, it provides functionalities like Excel, Word, PowerPoint presentation, etc.
- It is not possible to work every day every time so The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB dedicated Graphics Coprocessor makes it handy to edit high-quality videos and play games with high specifications.
- It gives you more than a TB that is 1024GB of Hard disk space to store the important files on your local computer instead of using a cloud service you can easily store even very large files on your system.
- There are several cases in which the monitor went black after some days, or users having huge black lines on the screen.
- Although the specifications, the device is still prone to damage and users have reported that the company does not provide good support if sent for repairment and returns the laptop with the same problems.
The biggest advantage of the product will be the NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti 4GB dedicated GDDR5 VRAM.
Microsoft Surface Book 2 – Best Laptop for Mechanical Engineering Students
Microsoft Surface Book 2 highlights the 256 GB Solid-state-drive with 16GB LPDDR3 RAM and an amazing 8th generation processor Intel Quad Core-i7. The product features NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPU w/6GB GDDR5 Graphics memory and an extensive battery life of almost 17 hours. The Microsoft Surface Book 2 comes with a vibrant pixelSense Display of 15’’ touchscreen along with a USB-Type C port. The device also contains a rear webcam and a copy of Windows 10 professional, and the company provides an alternate set of gadgets to use as the surface pen.
Why We Like It
- This product provides an amazing 8MP rear webcam resolution for clear video calls with the client or anyone.
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 comes loaded with windows 10 pro, specifically designed for professionals that are suitable for learning as well as teaching.
- It includes a Surface pen for a notebook like feel and makes it easier to use for anyone. The pen makes it more natural to handwrite and draw on the device.
- The Laptop can be detached to make it a tablet and use it as a touchscreen that makes the product handy and useful for travels and meetings.
- Up to 17 hours of video playback and only 1kg weight of the device makes the battery life of the device good enough that the students can also take it their classes without the fear of running out of charge.
- There are a lot of complaints of users about the incompatibility of the graphics card and the GPU that makes the GPU going AWOL. This makes some of the apps crash and the device’s functionality is seriously affected.
- For a device with these specifications, the price is too high for an average person to afford and an engineering student unless he or she comes from a rich background, it is not affordable for most of the students.
The biggest advantage of the device is the functionality of converting the device into a tablet and a studio for more flexible uses and makes it easy to hand-write and draw stuff on the device.
ASUS Zen Book 13 – Best Portable Laptop for Engineering
ASUS Zen Book 13 is a perfect laptop for engineering students. The ultra-slim laptop comes with a 13 plus inch full HD screen which enhances the visual delight. It has an Intel 8th generation i5 processor which ensures the smooth and efficient performance of your device while you are programming or coding. On buying, you get the laptop with pre-installed and latest Windows 10. An added advantage of this ASUS laptop is that it is extremely lightweight making it easier to carry around your college or anywhere else. The features of this device are adequately suitable for engineering students.
Why We Like It
- The Full HD display is anti-glare from all angles making your visual experience more enriching than ever before. 1920*1080 resolution along with a 170-degree wide view angle further ad to the benefits of the display. To add to all of this, the display is of IPS technology.
- The latest core processor is 1.6 GHz along with which there is 256 GB storage. As suitable for the field of engineering, there is a fast storage option. To expand storage, one can buy Solid State Drive that will also improve the performance.
- There is extensive connectivity with micro HDMI which is often necessary for various activities and projects you might have to do.
- Comfortable and easy portability is vital for students. The laptop is 2.6lbs aluminum body making it lightweight and easy to carry around. Most of the engineering students need their laptops while studying or working.
- Long battery life that can sustain up to 12 hours assuming extensive web browsing. The keypad has backlit along with a rubber supported hand rest. This ensures a smooth typing experience for the users.
- Poor sound output is one of the major drawbacks of the laptops. The sound quality remains largely unsatisfactory and is not as per the expectations of the people.
- The glitch touchpad causes the pointer to stray. There could be a lot of improvements in the software and hardware to improve the same.
The Zen Book 13 comes with an in-built finger locking system. This ensures additional device security.
MSI GL62M – Best laptop for Computer Engineering Students
The MSI GL62M is an excellent laptop having an Intel i7 core processor. The laptop comes with a 15.6 inch HD display which is alluring and rather improves the user’s visual experience while using the device. The laptop is also perfect for gaming which is what many of the college students want. A laptop that supports your work and is suitable for gaming is all that you want. In this regard, this MSI device is your best-go. The laptop comes in black color and has a red and black theme. Its features make it suitable for engineering students and students in general as well.
Why We Like It
- The display is full HD with a resolution of 1920*1080. This assures a user of high quality and sound visuals. The screen is 15.6 inches wide which significantly improves the clarity. The screen has excellent color reproduction capacities.
- The i7 core processor makes it perfect for all complex programming that you may require. The 7700 HQ, 4G graphics and a 128 expandable GB storage make it all the more attractive. There is a 1 terabyte hard drive and the performance can be further enhanced with the solid-state drive.
- The GTX 1050 that is based on NVidia’s latest GPU architecture is there in the laptop making it perfect for gaming. The 4G graphics and the 8GB RAM further notch up your gaming experience. Even with the hours of gaming, the device doesn’t heat up and remains cool.
- With the features that the device providers and the purpose it solves, the price tag is quite reasonable. Normally, a gaming laptop with GTX 1050 would be more expensive than the price at which this comes.
- The Nahimic Surround Sound System and light chassis are other attractive features. These contribute to the overall look.
- The display features though amazing, do not provide adequate and satisfactory angle display. The viewing angles are poor as a result of the mediocre contrast ratio.
- The battery life is a big drawback of this laptop. For gaming and programming laptops, users usually require a longer battery life which the device doesn’t provide.
The Steel Series Red Backlit Keypad and the anti-ghost key are unique to this laptop.
Frequently Asked Questions on Laptops for Engineering Students
Is laptop necessary for engineering students?
This question has mixed views. You do need to get a good laptop for storing apps that require a large amount of space like we see and for working on projects during unusual hours. Moreover, laptops come handy while saving class notes and important lessons. A good amount of RAM and Wi-Fi are essential tools for a student to meet his requirements. If you are into computer engineering, you must possess a laptop for coding and programming, especially during the second year. Having a laptop will also help students in clearing doubts about the topics they don’t understand or are too shy to approach their teachers.
On the other hand, some agree that laptops are not essential for engineering students. One can always use the college amenities when needed and focus on the theoretical part. If one is not pursuing coding, then there is no dire need for a laptop. Students don’t need to jump straight into purchasing laptops if it is presently out of their budget. If the students can get computer access on their campus, they can get past their first year of engineering smoothly. But having a laptop becomes very useful in the later stages when one needs to shine in their practical exams. Hence, it is advised to think thoroughly about the decision of buying a laptop before taking the plunge.
What laptops do engineering students need?
Once students decide to purchase a laptop, they must look for economical and useful ones. The Acer Aspire VX15 is considered to be a judicious purchase for students. It comes with KabyLake 2.8 GHz Core i7 processor and has a 15.6 inch HD display. The HP Spectre x360 IST is also one of the most recommended laptops for engineering students. It has a precise 4K display with excellent performance. It also comes with HP Tilt Pen so that students can let their creativity flow and build 3D models of choice. For budget-friendly laptops, the Dell G315 is a good choice. It has good performing power and has plenty of tools to back you up. The Asus Zen Book Flip is also a good performer. It provides fast storage and extensive connectivity with up to 13 hours of battery life.
The HP Envy Laptop is also recommended for students who spend long hours staring at the screen. This model has a widescreen with up to 14 hours of battery life. It is also handy and can be easily carried in a backpack. If students are looking for sophisticated and expensive laptops, they can opt for the famous Apple MacBook Pro. It has a sharp display and comes with 256 GB storage. It has Intel’s 7th Gen Core i5 processor and weighs only three pounds. Moreover, it comes with USB Type-C Thunderbolt. These are a few laptops across different price ranges to allow students to choose their perfect laptop accordingly.
Is 8 GB RAM enough for engineering students?
The greater the RAM is, the faster your laptop works. With the advent of new technology, 16 GB is becoming more preferable among students. However, 8 GB RAM is enough to accommodate an engineering student’s files and is enough to meet his requirements. The requirement of RAM also depends on the software one chooses to run. 8 GB RAM can easily support Windows and Mac OS, but 16 GB is preferred for professional work and gaming. If students plan for photo editing and video editing, they require higher RAM and should upgrade to 16 GB.
Which laptop is best for electronics engineering students?
The best laptop for electronics engineering students has to be the ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701. It has a whooping RAM of 24 GB and a full HD 17.3-inch display screen. This excellent model comes with a storage of 1 TB and 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7-8750H CPU. Additionally, the laptop has full HD webcam with a sleek design. The features present in the laptop are more than sufficient for the engineering students and can handle their work effectively.
The electronics engineering students demand for laptops that can run heavyweight programs without any complaint. Moreover, the ASUS ROG Zephyrus has an excellent processor, which is mostly absent in many other laptops. Owing to the large display screen, the students don’t need to strain their eyes while working for long hours. This model also comes with Type-C port, which provides extensive connectivity required for work. But like the flip side of the coin, this laptop has it’s disadvantages too. The most obvious drawback is its hefty price tag, which makes it an impractical purchase for the common mass. Moreover, due to the extensive features, it harbors, the battery life of this laptop is short. These drawbacks hinder students from investing in this expensive laptop.
As alternative options, the Acer Aspire E5-576-392H is a budget friendly laptop with efficient performance. It offers 6 GB of RAM, which is sufficient for electronics engineering students. If students are willing to take a step higher, they can go for the Acer Predator Helios PH315-51-78N model. It comes with the desirable 16 GB RAM at a rational price and also has the NVIDIA GTX 1060 graphics card. These laptops can be extremely useful to electronics engineering students when used judiciously and are sure to keep up with their great performance.
Also See : Best Laptops for Computer Science Students
Also See : Best Laptops for Writers
Also See : Best Laptop for Law School Students
While buying a laptop it is necessary to realize that there is a lot of money which goes into the process of buying a gadget nowadays. It should not only be cheap but also should work for you easily. It should also be lightweight and easy to carry around so that you can work anytime anywhere.
The performance should be better and there should be a long battery life so that you can work for hours before you lose all the battery in your laptop and have to find a charging port somewhere. It should also meet your needs and requirements.
There is a lot of planning that goes into it for buying a laptop as it is quite pricey. The CPU should be strong enough to hold your work so that you do not lose any work. And it is important to have these features as it makes your work easy and the headache to buy a laptop every new year is gone. The right kind of software also plays an important role in buying laptops as C++ is based on software and the performance of the laptop. So, put efforts and money only when you research about it and you are sure that you want to buy the same product.