Best Laptops for Kali Linux 2020: Linux refers to a distribution pattern necessary for security testing, reverse engineering, computer forensics, and other activities. It is done using hundreds of tools on a device. Regardless of the level of the professional, a good laptop is imperative. Whether you are a seasoned hacker or a newbie to this world, the laptop you use makes a difference to your performance and effectiveness. Every laptop is capable of performing certain basic functions. However, there are certain types of laptops suitable for particular activities like gaming, office work, and much more.
For anyone in professional ethical hacking, it is really important to look out for the best laptops that support Kali Linux and penetration testing activities. There exist several methods for running such activities like using dual boot, virtualization software like VMware, etc. However, a suitable laptop is required to effectively support it. There are numerous factors you should consider while looking for a laptop for this purpose. Therefore, every hacker must refer to a buyer’s guide before making a buying decision to make a perfect choice.
Choosing the Best Laptop for Kali Linux
A fundamental requirement every user of Kali Linux laptop would want is smooth functioning which is free of glitches. Moreover, storage is the most important aspect of any laptop in this field. Penetrating security and testing activities requires sufficient space to run smoothly. Hence, always look for a laptop with adequate storage. Mac Book Pro, Alienware 17 R4 are among the few devices that have great storage capacity. Mac Book Pro even provides better performance as compared to other Apple laptops along with a top-notch display. However, a good display is not something that would bother Kali Linux freaks.
Also know About : Best Laptops for Engineering Students
Lenovo Idea Pad Y700 is another suggested laptop. Given the amazing features it provides, one can certainly go for it. As compared to other laptops, it is less pricy and relatively pocket friendly. The Kali laptop comes with a storage capacity of 128-gigabyte SDD along with 1 terabyte HDD. The Intel core processor is i7 which ensures efficient performance of the device. A peculiar feature of the laptop is that it boots up in just 10 seconds which is rare and rather extraordinary. Besides, factors that usually determine the choice of the users are the compatibility and the issues in setting up.
The Dell XPS9560 is currently considered to be the best laptop for Kali Linux. It comes with 512-gigabyte space coupled with 4 gigabytes RAM. For those unsatisfied by this RAM can extend it. It also has a long battery life which is quite essential for anyone involved in such activities. Hackers are usually looking for a laptop with a lot of ports in them to facilitate easy data transfer and multi-tasking. Acer’s laptops are thus famous among the professionals of this area.
The Acer Aspire E 15 has the much-needed multiple port options, excellent performance, and big display. It comes with a state-of-the-art i7 processor along with 8 GB RAM and 256-gigabyte space. When fully charged, it would work for 15 hours on average which is pretty high in the budget range. Thus, there are various factors you should account for while buying a Kali Linux laptop. These factors range from smooth functioning to space storage. Other than that, RAM, a long battery life along with several port connectors is important to consider. Added, price is a universal component requiring due thought. The display though not fundamental is still vital as it can affect angle visibility.
Best Laptops for Kali Linux
The best laptops in the market, which gives the best out of such high-tech software and provides an awesome experience when operated with these devices. Here is a list you should know.
Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop comes with 8th generation Intel 6-core processor, NVIDIA GeForce graphics, Predator Quarter Master Software. With such high-quality software and a super-fast, super-smooth processor, this laptop has set the bars at heights for Kali Linux and is a strong competitor for its other rivals out there. It comes along with Acer Predator Cestus 510RGB gaming mouse.
Why We Liked it
- With 8th generation Intel core i7-8750H 6-core processor (up to 4.1 GHz), this device is a powerful beast when it comes to speed. Its highly efficient processor provides up to 144 Hz on HD panel.
- The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 overloaded Graphics with 6GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM, it gives the best in class, which gives a heaven-on-earth like gameplay, without any lags.
- It comes with 15.6 inches, full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen LED-backlit IPS display which provides 144Hz Refresh Rate, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC. Its high-quality HD display gives pleasure to eyes with its ultra-brightening colors.
- Predator Quarter Master Software for customizing color, lightening patterns, sensitivity (5 DPI mode) and button program.
- With exchangeable top covers for different heights & changeable right-side panels with two shapes, this device gives you a new look every time. You will never get disappointed by its perfectly designed body.
- It has a high rate of 144Hz on HD panel, but when it comes to gaming it feels a bit of llag The frame rate is steady at 144Hz, but while gaming it drops down to 100-110Hz, and sometimes to 60Hz, which feels lags when you’re used to a 100+ Hz frame rate.
- The Acer Predator has always been facing a common problem, and that is its heating issue. Though it comes with the most powerful cooling system, still it can’t handle it. The heating issue remains constant.
This device, having the high quality, best-in-class software and hardware, have something that makes it the best, and that is its World’s first dual Omron switch design, which provides the longevity with up to 70M clicks, and an adjustable click force with a simple slide of the cleverly designed levers at the bottom of Cestus 500.
Acer Aspire 7 – Best Kali Linux Laptop
Acer Aspire 7 Casual Gaming Laptop comes with its high-quality Intel i7-8750, O365 Bundle, the best-in-class NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and 6-core processor, which introduces this Casual Gaming set the best. It hits the market on September 6, 2018, and constantly staying at the best option for a valuable purchase.
Why we Liked it
- The Intel i7-8750H, O365 bundle 6-core processor is a beast when you call out for speed for any PC. This Intel i7 provides the best-in-class processor for your daily outing, presentations or regular desk jobs.
- The graphics card of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti gives you the best out of anything, with high-quality graphics and smooth play.
- This device comes with 16GB RAM, which could handle any process hassle-free combining it with its highly efficient processor and high-quality graphics, this casual gaming device becomes a beast for work and play.
- Though this device has all we need in any device. It includes heaven like software too, just for the hassle-free life you want. It has a sensational cooling technology which makes every conceivable angle cool. This laptop barely yields a palpable warmth in the fan area.
- Acer Aspire comes with the strong, tough body out there, you can even play it like a Frisbee. This tough body is the efficiency of the aspire series being so reliable.
- Though it comes with 16GB RAM, this is non-upgradable. This device runs really smooth with 16GB RAM, but when it comes to newer versions, it will still be the same.
- Since this device is a casual gaming set, it doesn’t sound or feel like a beast out there in the gaming world. It usually provides 60 frames per second (fps), which feels lags when we compare it with 100+ fps.
Though being the best in work and play, this device has its specialty of having the latest, fully installed versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote.
Apple MacBook Pro – Beginner Laptop for Kali Linux
If you are the best ethical hacker, then you deserve nothing but the best. Apple MacBook Pro provides the best platform to run Kali Linux smoothly. It has a fantastic resolution of 2880×1800 and comes with 16 GB DDR3 memory. The Mac OS will support Kali without any issues. The MacBook Pro has earned its reputation as the most sought-after models due to its unparalleled technology.
Why We Liked It
- With this amazing laptop, there is no question of speed issues. It has a lightning speed of operation and is sure to leave you stunned. Now, you don’t need to worry about your slow running programs anymore!
- To avoid eye strain, the MacBook Pro comes with a 15.6-inch screen and bright display. Though hackers don’t need a glorious display, the screen will grab all of your attention.
- To add to the laptop’s oomph, it has a backlit keyboard that adds to its style and utility as well.
- The most eye-catching feature if the MacBook Pro is its Force Touch trackpad that is pressure-sensitive and responds to the lightest touch.
- The sleek design of the laptop also enhances its glamour and makes it light.
- Yes, the obvious con of this laptop is its hefty price tag, which makes it unaffordable for the common mass. If you are new to the world of ethical hacking, it is suggested to opt for some lower range models.
The specialty of the MacBook Pro has to be the Retina display crystal clear vision and detailed viewing angles, providing unbeatable viewing experience and decent battery life of 8-10 Hours.
New Alienware 17 – Best Laptop for Pentesting
Speak of the wow factor and the New Alienware 17 just pops into your head. Though this laptop is mainly designed for gaming, it is a good choice for running Kali Linux as well. Not only this model has a muscular build, but it also provides you with various storage options to pick from.
Why We Liked It
- It seems like the manufacturers have vowed not to compromise on the display and sound quality of this laptop. With the mammoth 17.3-inch screen, it provides a magnificent QHD display.
- To add to the topping, this laptop also comes with a great audio quality to enhance the user experience.
- This model comes with a USB Type-C port along with a secure Noble Lock Slot.
- Moreover, it provides a whopping 32 GB RAM that abolishes any storage issues.
- Just like other top-notch laptops, this model too has a backlit keyboard that allows you to switch between a range of colors.
- Alienware 17 has a poor battery life. It can run for 3 hours before you need to feel it again.
- Additionally, it does not have an A-class CPU performance. Tech experts claim that its contemporary laptops have proven to be better in terms of CPU expectations.
The unique Tobii Eye Tracker system allows you to control the laptop screen with the movement of your eyes, providing a new experience.
ASUS VivoBook – Budget Laptop for Kali Linux
ASUS VivoBook Thin and light gaming laptop is a gaming laptop. This is very easy to carry around as it is lightweight. The intel core i7 and RAM 16GB which makes this device fast. It is there with different intel core and the range also varies with that. It can everything that you want it to do. There are no freezes even when you use it for hours. The performance is normal. This is very smooth in touch and great texture. It has a high-performance CPU which makes the battery drain a little faster, but the charging is really fast. This looks very stylish and durable when you walk into your office or any workplace for that matter.
The screen is really good to look at 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution and the visuals are clear. The viewing angles are not an issue. There are high settings on this which helps you to play games more smoothly. It has windows 10 and high manual settings. This is also referred to as “A professional powerhouse”. The network card is amazing. While doing simple and basic tasks it can be there for 5-6 hours. It has good connectivity and achieves the maximum of your network speeds.
Why We Liked It
- It is light weighted and very easy to carry around.
- The visuals are great, and it is specifically for a gamer.
- Due to a good and powerful intel core, it is speedy and with ultra-fast connectivity.
- There is also a cooling space that helps to avoid having your laptop too hot due to a lot of gaming.
- The sound quality is very enhanced and powerful.
- The battery life of this product is not so great, and it consumes a lot of energy while taking a lot of time to get fully charged.
This is very easy to carry around and it helps to get good quality graphics.
Dell XPS9560 – Good Kali Linux Laptop
Dell XPS9560-7001SLV-PUS is also an enhanced type of gaming laptop. It has 7th Generation intel core processor. The quality and the visuals are 4k Ultra HD, which makes the entire experience amazing. There is no optical drive. The connectivity is really strong. There is also a fingerprint sensor on this laptop which gives you easy access to your data and files. There are already installed drivers which makes these laptops to use. It does just about everything you’d want from a relatively portable laptop. It may get louder on high loads. This laptop has high connectivity towards the wi-fi. The build quality of this product is amazing. It is a powerful laptop with an i7 processor. It is also a screen touch that is easy to work with.
The hardware is great and strong. The battery life is comparatively, very good as you can work on it for 12 hours and it is easy to charge too. As it is easy to carry, you can take it around with you and easily work wherever you want. The fan noises are also subtle and not too much which is nice considering that almost every laptop has this problem of highly noisy fans.
Why We Liked It
- The quality is great as it is present in 4k Ultra HD which makes the entire experience amazing.
- It has a great view as it is 15 inches. Go big or go home.
- This laptop has a great sound quality and it has all the ports that you need.
- This is quite a portable laptop, slim but powerful.
- This is really fast with amazing construction and smooth keypad.
- The voice quality is not that clear and great.
- The temperature once high takes a lot of time to cool down.
- There are random freezes and screen glitches.
The screen is 15 inches long which gives you a wider look and better view with the 4k Ultra HD.
Also Read : Best Laptop for Architecture Students
Frequently Asked Questions on Laptops for Kali Linux
How much RAM is needed for Kali Linux?
Kali Linux can run on a very basic RAM of 1 GB but to ensure better and faster performance, it is recommended to upgrade to 2 GB or even more. The i386 pictures have a PAR Kernel and hence can be run on systems that have over 4 GB of RAM. If you are planning to go basic, you can use Kali Linux as a Secure Shell (SSH) server and use a minimum of 128 MB RAM. But if you want to install the Kali Linux full meta-package, you definitely need at least 2048 MB of RAM along with 20 GB of disk space.
What does Kali Linux do?
Kali Linux helps to run several procedures like performing high-end Penetration Tests, Security Auditing, Security Research, and Reverse Engineering. Unlike the common myth, it is not a system meant just for hacking into accounts or stealing Wi-Fi passwords. Kali Linux provides more than 600 pre-installed Penetration Testing and Security tools. It has an amazing Graphical Interface and Command Line Interface for Pen-Testing tools. It is advised to use Kali Linux in virtual machines and not in primary operating systems. It is designed to be a Security Testing Tool and that means you can have access to different computers without the knowledge of their owners. Hence, it is very important to use Kali Linux judiciously without having any malicious intention. Both ethical and unethical hackers can exploit the tools of Kali Linux to their own advantage. It is legitimately used by Security Administrators who are entitled to protect their institution’s data from the world. Pen Testers also use it in order to audit environments, Forensic Engineers use it for data recovery and discovery. On the other hand, Black Hat Hackers use Kali Linux to exploit an organization or an individual. Apart from the professionals, people interested in learning more about network g can use this system to know about Information Technology and it’s different aspects.
Do hackers use Kali Linux?
It is not that all hackers specifically use Kali for hacking but owing to the system’s pre-installed tools, it makes a hacker’s job easier. The main reason behind its wide use is its nominal price and excellent system integrity. However, many advanced hackers do not recommend Kali Linux as it is a dangerous operating system and can get you hacked or even worse, land you in jail. A major reason to use Kali is that one can write a code for everything he wants to hack. This operating system has already set the environment and tools to make the task of a hacker much easier.
What laptops do hackers use?
Hacking is gaining unauthorized access to data in a system or computer. Any laptop that can run Linux, which is an operating software just like Windows and IOS, can be used for hacking purposes as a hacking laptop or device. Laptops with a great hard drive, fast microprocessor and large RAM are preferable. The hard-drive doesn’t matter as much as the tools in it.
Hackers need laptops with processors that do not slow down with the use of heavy tools required for hacking. Alienware 17.3” FHD laptop is one of the most preferred laptops when it comes to hacking, considering it has both style and use. It comes with an 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 chipset makes the graphics high-end. It also has a hybrid disk which allows hackers to store large amounts of data while working on analysing the data simultaneously and not getting any slower.
Is Kali Linux illegal?
This is a very subjective question. When used by White Hat Hackers, Kali Linux is legal but if this same operating system is used by Black Hat Hackers, it is illegal. But in general, Kali Linux is absolutely legal to use. The tools present in this operating system doesn’t require any certification to be put into use. However, some of its tools may cause your account to be suspended or bring in legal action. It is safe to use Kali Linux on virtual machines but never on primary operating systems. If one’s intentions are not clear, Kali can land you in trouble. One must never try to retrieve data from any other system until you have the explicit permission to do so. Basically, Kali Linux is just a tool and the way you wish to implement depends entirely on you. It is much like the use of daily objects. Take a meat chopper knife for instance. You can either use it to dice your meat or dice a person. The choice is yours.
Is Kali Linux good for beginners?
Ever since the advent of this operating system, everyone wishes to use Kali Linux without even knowing about the Linux systems. Kali Linux is a great operating system but it is definitely not for beginners. If one does not have enough knowledge about such systems, they should not jump right into Kali. The tools provided are not friendly to be used by beginners and have some complex working mechanisms. Even on the Kali Linux official website, the experts have warned against the complex nature of the system. The problem with beginners is that they don’t have the complete idea of Penetration Testing and hence cannot correctly operate the Kali Linux operating system. In case one wants to learn the Linux environment, it is advised for the user to go for Ubuntu, which has a simple mechanism. While using Kali, one also needs to be aware of security tools. A beginner is most likely to be baited by the hacking tools and land himself in legal trouble. Using Ubuntu is much more friendly as the ‘help’ pages can get you through all your problems and develop a better understanding of the operating system. Hence, in order to operate Kali Linux, one must have advanced knowledge about the subject of ethical hacking. Newbies can enroll in different courses in order to gain in-depth knowledge about this complex subject.
Kali-Linux is a system or a series of activities that are often used by ethical hackers for reverse engineering, security audits, and digital forensics. Regardless of the experience in this profession, a good laptop significantly affects the performance of a person. Before going for it, one should carefully analyze various determiners of a Kali-Linux laptop. All laptops are good at one or the other feature more than the other. If someone is looking for a good display along with performance, then Mac book pro may be their best shot. On the other hand, if you are someone who wants a device with multiple port connectors which is cheap, then Acer’s laptops are your best-go. Overall, the buying decision rests upon various aspects and the guide above will help you to reach the most effective decision.